vSphere vNetwork

View Only
  • 1.  Unable to create FT Logging with NIC teaming

Posted Feb 14, 2013 01:48 PM

I am using vSphere 5.1 and vCenter 5.1.

I create a VM Kernel Port Group on a new vSwitch, assign two unsed NICs on my ESX server and FT Logging. I then add a second VM Kernel Port Group to the two NICs and also assign FT Logging. When I do this FT Logging in the first VM Kernel Port Group gets disabled. If I then manually enable FT Logging on the first VM Kernel Port Group then second one gones into disable mode.

The same thing happens when I create 2 vSwitches, assign 1 NIC to each of them and assign FT Logging.

I wanted to set up my FT Logging swicthes in this manner to match what I have done with vMotion and VM Network.

Am I doing something wrong or can you only have one Port Group per server for FT Logging? Please advise.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Unable to create FT Logging with NIC teaming
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 14, 2013 02:13 PM

Multi-NIC VMotion is a new feature in vSphere 5.0. Multi-NIC FT has not been introduced yet. You mentioned Multi-NIC VM portgroups, but that is not possible either. While you can have two portgroups connect to the same VLAN they must have unique names and a VM NIC can only connect to a single unique name at a time.

What benefit are you hoping to achieve with Multi-NIC FT? If the goal is more throughput then 10G is the only option currently. If the goal is better load balancing of traffic then you could look at LACP on the vDS.

• 3.  RE: Unable to create FT Logging with NIC teaming

Posted Feb 14, 2013 02:32 PM

I have created Multi NIC VM port groups for resilience with the physical swicthes. I was hoping to achieve better load balancing with Multi NIC FT Logging. I don't have Enterprise Plus licenses so vDS is not an option for me.:smileyhappy:

Anyway, I can use FT Logging for so little at the moment because of the 1 vCPU restriction that there isn't much traffic to load balance.......

Thanks for your knowledge.

• 4.  RE: Unable to create FT Logging with NIC teaming

Posted Feb 14, 2013 02:14 PM

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware vCenter™ to VMware vSphere™ vNetwork