VMware Cloud Community
number1vspheref
Contributor
Contributor

Terrible Network Performance on vSphere

Hi,

I'm seeing terrible network performance on vSphere. Hypervisor is ESX4.0. I have a Win Server 2K8 VM and I'm copying a number of files (one of which is quite a large file, 70GB approx) from a network share on a physical Win Server 2K3 box to the Win Server 2K8 VM. Gig Ethernet network.Currently seeing about 5.8MB / Second. I have a VMXnet 3 adapter in the VM. Performance between 2 physical boxes on the network is 1GB / minute so approximately getting 35% performance in the virtual scenario ( 5.8MB/Second = 348 MB / minute).

As an additional piece of information in relation to the problem, a P2V conversion onto the ESX host is predicting a duration of approxanitely 8-9 hours, again because of poor network performace. Also, this poor network performance occurs even when VMware converter runs on a physical box, the source (VMware Server 2.0) files are on a physical box and the destination is the ESX box i.e. no VM in the equation in that scenario but still poor network performance. Throughput reported by VMware converter is approx 4MB/s.

Traffic shaping is disabled both on the vSwitch and on the port group in the VM case referred to in the first paragraph above. There is a single uplink, a HP NC110T GigE adapter but we also saw the problem with an onboard NIC (server is a HP Proliant DL380G5). The onboard NIC had a Broadcom chipset which was known to give TOE related problems (see http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626126100170684628353475&threadId=1153566) hence the change to the HP NIC with Intel chipset.

Any thoughts on what could be the issue here? All the throughput stats in the VM and in the VI client are consistent with each other...

Thanks,

number1vspherefan.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would start with checking the duplex settings and maybe cables...

If you transfer VM to VM on the same ESX is the performance the expected then?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
number1vspheref
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

NIC is configured full duplex, 1000 Gb/s. Cable seems fine, physical connection between cable and RJ45 seems OK

and not sure what else I can check?

I only have one VM on the ESX box at the moment so can't do the VM to VM check...

Thanks,

number1vspherefan.

0 Kudos