VMware Cloud Community
gurjitd
Contributor
Contributor

Stretch portgroups configuration on 2 different dvSwitch

Hi,

I have a question regarding portgroups, will try to explain a bit, hope someone will help to clear my doubt.

We are building new Datacenters in 2 different location and both will be managed by 1 single vCenter server.  we want to stretch our networks in 2 different locations. That means we will like to keep same portgroup names and also same vlan's in dvSwitch configuration for this 2 location. If I try to create portgroup on 2nd dvSwitch for example "Portgroup Produciton", which is already present in first dvSwitch, Its say portgroup already exists. Is there any way we can achieve this or else we will not be able to achieve our stretch network plans. We have 10GB bandwidth between 2 DC, we are going out with stretch network to have some kind of DR site in case of emergency.

Please let me know if this can be achieved or it is not possible to achieve.

Below is the example of stretch n/w configuration we will like to achieve.

vCenter-server

----> Datacenter

dvSwitch 1 ( DC London)

|

|

------------>> Portgroup Production (vlan 394)

|

|

----------->> Portgroup Management (vlan 391)

|

|

------------>>Portgroup iScsci (vlan 390)

dvSwitch 2 ( DC New York)

|

|

------------>> Portgroup Production (vlan 394)

|

|

----------->> Portgroup Management (vlan 391)

|

|

------------>>Portgroup iScsci (vlan 390)

Regards

GD

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm curious why you are creating two VDS when both sites are going to be using the same logical port group construction. It would seem reasonable to just use a single VDS for both sites.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
gurjitd
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chriswahl,

Thanks first of all, Very right, I got this in my mind yesterday after sending this message, I am going to try this if they works fine.

Just a query, do you think there will be any limitation to use same dvSwich for 2 different clusters ?

Regards

GD

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

None that seem applicable to you. Most realistic limitations are on a per-host basis. Keep in mind that the VDS is really just a vCenter level configuration tool.

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r50/vsphere-50-configuration-maximums.pdf

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
tvarbanov
Contributor
Contributor

An easy way to resolve the issue with port group names is to place the two distributed switches in different folders. Port group names have to be unique when port groups are created under one and the same folder or directly under the datacenter in inventory.

Thanks,

Tihomir

0 Kudos