VMware Cloud Community
mbuk
Contributor
Contributor

Service Console

Hi all, i've created a second service console port and given it an ip address. if i ping it i get a reply and i can connect to the service console on it's address. But if i disconnect the network cable that connects the original service console port i cannot connect to the new one. What have i missed?.

Regards

Andrew Lewis

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Do they use the same vSwitch and physical NIC?

AWo

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
mbuk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, no seperate vswitch and nic .Attached is the vswitch output,

0 Kudos
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi mbuk,

Are both of your SC ports on the same subnet/VLAN? If not, then you wont be able to get to your default router when the primary port goes down...

Either way, try this to verify the 2nd SC port: ping the 2nd SC port IP from another device on the same subnet it is on. If that works, then you most likely have a routing issue (probably on your ESX host, needing a 2nd default route). If not, then you may want to check your physical switch port configuration for vmnic1 with your network admin.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points for correct and/or helpful answers.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
0 Kudos
mbuk
Contributor
Contributor

Found the answer. If you have two service console ports on the subnet and disconnect one cable you won't be able to connect to the service console. The workaround is not to put two service consoles on the same subnet (:>

Andrew

0 Kudos