VMware Cloud Community
kegwell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Select a Default vSwitch?

Can you select a default vSwitch to be used when adding a vNIC or when creating a new VM? For example, assume we have two vSwitches for VM traffic. One vSwitch is called DMZ and the second vSwitch is called LAN. Whenever we add a new vNIC to a VM or if we create a new VM, the vSwitch always defaults to DMZ instead of LAN. Is there a way to select which vSwitch should be used by default or is this strictly done alphabetically? Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Is there a way to select which vSwitch should be used by default or is this strictly done alphabetically?

I don't even think it's done alphabetically, it appears to be random, atleast in my environments. However, the randomness is consistent. It will show you the same order every time.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Create a VM portgroup in the vSwitch

Right click on the vm's name in the vSphere.Click on Edit settings->Hardware tab->click on Network adapter->under Network Connection Change the Network Label to the desired portgroup of the corresponding vSwitch.

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

If you opt for "custom" instead of "typical" when creating a new VM, you have the option of which vSwitch the vNIC will use. You also should have a selection of vSwitches when adding another vNIC to a VM. I've not found a way (yet) to set a default other than the first one that shows up. It appears that it goes by the vSwitch# order. I wouldn't mess around with the vSwitch numbering once a VM has VM's attached to it. Especially when those VM's are running. While it should use the VM Port Group name for the settings/parameters, it could cause issues if you change the vSwitch number associated with that Port Group.

I use vSwitch0 for the vCenter Server, and vMA appliance, as well as the host. vSwitch1 is all my other VM's for traffic to the LAN. I also created a vSwitch2 that has no physical adapters connected to it to make for an isolated network. This can be useful when you need to change network settings of a VM and cannot have it go onto the LAN until those changes are made.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos