VMware Cloud Community
Phoung
Contributor
Contributor

Running vMotion on DATA Network

Currently I have my ESXi hosts installed with 4 10GBit Fiber cards. I use 2 of them for my VM data traffic. And two of them for Vmotion traffic.

I want to run my VMotion network over the 2 VM data traffic cards now, so I can free up fiber ports. I checked my traffic coming from the ESXi hosts and I only do about 1 Gbit maybe 2 Gbit.

Still my co-worker who is senior to me tells me I cannot run VMotion over the 2 Fibers cards I use for my VM traffic(active-standby mode), that it will cause problems and eat up all my bandwidth when I do VMotions. I am not a networking person, it seems unreasonable to assume though that a VMotion could eat up so much bandwidth. He also stated it just would not work, but to me its just adding the appropriate VLAN to my 2 VM data nics, and moving the VMotion kernel port there.

Could someone explain why my idea is bad? I am simply trying to do a cost savings by freeing up valuable 10GBit ports.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

vMotion can (and will) indeed max out the available bandwidth. Anyway, I'm running such a configuration (with vMotion in a separate VLAN though) using distributed switches with Network I/O control (default share values) enabled, which works without issues.

André

0 Kudos
DrKim
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Why not to use trafic shaping on the vmotion portgroup? If your VM's max transfer is 2Gbits, then shape vmotion max traffic down to 6Gbits to be very safe.

-0,02$

0 Kudos
Phoung
Contributor
Contributor

‌Thank you everyone. Can vmotion really push upwards of 6gbit?? I think for now I will create my active vmotion port in my standby data port. So I can still free up fiber and not interfere.

I ill will look into enabling network io control I have it disabled I was worried to use it.

I Would like to test it separate on a couple of test hosts. I can have another distribute switch in vcenter I can test it on?

0 Kudos