vSphere vNetwork

View Only
  • 1.  Relocating one Nexus VSM to new CPU architecture

Posted Jul 14, 2011 08:07 PM

Currently my Nexus VSM's are running on AMD based blades.  I am slowly cutting over to newer Intel blades.  I would like to cold migrate our standby VSM to these new blades.

Any thoughts on if going from AMD to Intel would mess anything up?

• 2.  RE: Relocating one Nexus VSM to new CPU architecture
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 14, 2011 08:41 PM

That's a great question.

I do not think it will cause a problem. I'm pretty sure it will be fine but I do not have an AMD box to test with to be sure.

If you want to test it I would do the following.

1. Clone the VSM

2. Disconnect all the NICs from the network on the cloned VSM VM (very important)

3. Migrate the clone VSM to the AMD box

4. See if it starts

Very important to make sure the cloned VSM has no network connectivity. If you leave the network attached you'll end up with two primary VSMs running on the same network with the same domain ID and that will cause all types of havoc.

I would say as long as the cloned VSM boots (which I'm 99% sure it will) I think you will be fine.  Once you are happy it will work, delete the clone and plan your cold migration.

louis

• 3.  RE: Relocating one Nexus VSM to new CPU architecture

Posted Jul 14, 2011 08:48 PM

I have two VSM's but I'm not sure, and neither is my network admin, how to tell which is primary...  I'd love to migrate the standby first for obvious reasons.

Great idea BTW to clone and disconnect as a test.

• 4.  RE: Relocating one Nexus VSM to new CPU architecture

Posted Jul 14, 2011 08:58 PM

You'll have to bring up a console for each vsm and actually login to see which one is primary.

The one that is standby will  say "standby" as part of the command prompt.

louis

• 5.  RE: Relocating one Nexus VSM to new CPU architecture

Posted Jul 15, 2011 02:46 PM

Great.  Thank you for your help!