VMware Cloud Community
SLUDCooper
Contributor
Contributor

Redesign ESX Host networking.

Hello guys/gals

We are going to be completely redesigning the way our hosts communicate to our networks. My question is how to i go about removing the current networking? Is it as easy as just going in and blowing away the vswitches? I have two VMK for iscsi with jumbo frames enabled in one vswitch. should I delete those vmks first then blow away the vswitch?

Thanks

Darren

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You

can create new vSwitch and assign virtual machines to new vswitch, but

if you do so you can not change the layout of nic team by example why

the card is tied to the vswitch, but you can remove the plates of the

vswitch at any time.

You can

delete the VMK, but then have to rebuild, and you know they will lose

for a while VMotion and the Service Console until you rebuild.

Hope helpful.

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
SLUDCooper
Contributor
Contributor

During the redesign all vms will powered off. So should be able to just remove the entire vswitch that handles the iscsi. My other vswitch has the service console so ill be ok there.

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ok i don´t see problems

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

Yep one of the best bits of virtualisation with vmware - you can move VM's between vswitches and create vswitches for different purposes in a few clicks.

Also what differentiates vmware from its competitors is the capabilities and features of the vswitches.

0 Kudos