VMware Cloud Community
Primedge63
Contributor
Contributor

Random Connectivity issue with Virtual Machine

I hope the community can help me resolve a problem I'm having with one of my virtual machines. I'll describe the problem the best I can, but my knowledge of esxi/vmware/vcenter is limited and my terminology may not be up to par.

I have a Dell R730xd running ESXi 6.7 and vCenter 7. There are three VM's running: Server 2012r2, Server 2016 and a Windows 7 x32 vm, along with vCenter. They all share the same virtual network, and I have only one physical network connection to the LAN.

The Windows 7 x32 vm is running some archaic software (GreatPlains 9.1) that the business owner still need to access and only runs in x32 via a DOS window. This VM also has several shared network folders.

The Server 2012r2 and Server 2016 run fine with no connectivity issues, and I can PING them with no drops or time outs, and terminal services run fine.

The Windows 7 x32 vm started having problems in early February of this year. Mind you, these VMs have been running fine for the last 3 years.

Pining the Windows 7 x32 vm from my workstation results in random "Request timed out." errors. Its very random. I can have a slew of good replies, then a block of time outs. When logged into the VM via Remote Desktop, I suffer multiple connection dropped, attempting to reconnect problems.

Curiously, if I log into my Server 2016 instance and ping the IP of the Windows 7 instance, I have no time outs. This tells me that the problem is the traffic going out of the VM to my LAN, but only with the Windows 7 vm.

I'm at a loss after many days trying to figure this out. My co-worker who is much more knowledgeable and experience with vmWare is also stumped.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to fix this problem. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mannharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A couple of things.

1 . The network adapter of all three VMs is the same, is there any difference?

2 Try creating the new network adapter with windows 7 and assign some new IP (separate subnet) and check if there is any ping drop?

3, From the ESXi host, run esxtop and validate if the eth0 of the VMs are using separate vmnic?

4 Update all the network drivers within the guest OS.

5. Check the hardware version of the VM (https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003746)

Regards

Harry 

0 Kudos