VMware Cloud Community
RandyWhite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems installing Nexus 1000v vCenter plug-in extension file "Invalid URI: The URI is empty"

Hi All,

I'm trying to install the Cisco Nexus 1000v switch in my training lab.

When I get to the step where I add the Extension XML file to the vSphere plug-in Manager, I get an error that states "Invalid URI: The URI is empty"

When I open the cisco_nexus_1000v_extension.xml file, it's obvious there is something missing from the <url></url> section.

Questions:

1. Has anyone successfully installed the Nexus 1000v switch?

2. If so, can you post the extension xml file so I can stare & compare?

3. How do I remove the old extension file from the Available Plug-ins section of the Plug-in Manager? Right now it's stuck on Download and Install...

Thanks, Randy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ceemour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mine is working

dont worry about the error, mine still has the error when you click on the download, all it has to do is show up

follow the setps at the cisco site

if you want to remove the plugin and get a new one use the steps here

I followed the guides and got mine working

cant post my xml as it is at home and i am at work

chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
ceemour
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mine is working

dont worry about the error, mine still has the error when you click on the download, all it has to do is show up

follow the setps at the cisco site

if you want to remove the plugin and get a new one use the steps here

I followed the guides and got mine working

cant post my xml as it is at home and i am at work

chris

0 Kudos
aroshan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Randy,

For Nexus 1000v Plugin, you have to create the plugin in vCenter, so that the VSM can authenticate into the vCenter.

There's no need to download and install anything. There's also no need to remove the plugin.

You can establish the connection to vCenter in VSM as long as the plugin is registered.

regards,

- Roshan

lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Randy,

Make sure you download the xml file from the VSM via http. Also make sure you have a license installed on the VSM. You can get an eval license for 60 days from the Cisco Nexus1000V website.

If you still need help, post again.

RandyWhite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the replies.

Chris - I went ahead with the installation, and it seems to be working fine. II haven't installed any VEMs yet, but "show svs connections" says the VSM is registered with the data center. I'm still curious as to what the xml file is supposed to look like in a production environment. I'm a switch and router guy, so I expect I'll be seeing a lot more of these in the future.

Roshan and Iwatta - Yes, this was installed through the vSphere client logged in to the vCenter server. You can't install plug-ins when the vSphere client is logged into an ESX host, that option is greyed out (yeah, I tried). The xml file was downloaded to the vCenter server via http after the eval license was installed on the Nexus VSM.

Thanks again, Randy

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The XML file is going to be different for each Nexus1000V. Everytime a VSM is installed a new XML extension file gets generated.

This file contains a key that VMware uses to talk with the VSM. The key is specific to each VSM so an XML extension file for one VSM will not work for another VSM.

0 Kudos
DaveJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a similiar problem. The Nexus 1000v VSM has a 60 day evaluation license (as does vCenter). When I try to register the extension, I get: "A specified parameter was not correct. extension.key". The Nexus 1000v troubleshooting guide was no help.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Typically we see that error when the Vmware vCenter versions and the Cisco VSM versions are not the same release.

Are you using the official release of VMware vCenter 4.0 or is it a beta/RC release?

0 Kudos
DaveJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's supposed to be the GA code (4.0.0 build 120742). With the Cisco code downloaded from Cisco's web site.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The GA build should be closer to 162856 for vCenter Server and 164009 for ESX COS.

0 Kudos
DaveJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah, the vCenter is indeed 162856, but the client is 140742. Is that the issue?

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes. I have seen old clients cause that problem as well. Upgrade the client and I think you will be good to go.

0 Kudos
DaveJ
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, that was it. The old client was causing the issue. Thanks.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That is good news. Let us know if you run into other issues.

0 Kudos
mike0789
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I ran into the "A specified parameter was not correct. extension.key" issue also. I updated to the latest vSphere client, and I didn't get the message. I did get the message about the cert which I ignored. But then I got a message it took to long to communicate with the server. Hit ok. Tried again and now get "A specified parameter was not correct."

Not sure where to look now. Suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RandyWhite
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you don't get a reply here, you might try Cisco's Nexus 1000v forum.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can you confirm the versions of---

Nexus 1000V - show version

VMware vCenter Server

The error you are getting is usually a version mismatch.

0 Kudos
mike0789
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vCenter: build 162856

ESX: 164009

vSphere and vCenter server s/w came from the same DVD.

0 Kudos
mike0789
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

got a bit further. Posted the following on the Cisco support page.

All my versions match up as you listed. I get the correct key in

extension manager. It shows up in the Plugins to download and

install. When I click on the link to download and install, it sits on

0%. I went ahead and tried doing the SVS connection and the 1000v

says...

ERROR: http://VMware vCenter Server 4.0.0 build-162856 Extension key was not registered before its use.

0 Kudos
mike0789
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok. Got it going. I unregistered the Nexus 1000v extention and re-added it. All is good now.

0 Kudos