VMware Cloud Community
ok7827125
Contributor
Contributor

Problem in vMotion traffic and HA failure detection and Shown the Network Partitioned State

I have some problem when i am trying to run vMotion between some Hosts. in this situation, I face randomly some errors which indicate HA error and partitioned mode detection.

my settings in all Hosts is the same and all of them are ESXi5.5 u2 with vCenter 5.5 and i have following settings:

in every ESXi, I have 2 virtual switch, one switch is standard and another is distribute switch

VMnic0 & 3 is connected to standard switch (2NICs are teamed ) &

VMnic1,2 is connected to distribute switch (2NICs are teamed )

in every standard switch in any ESXi, I create 2 port group which is one for Management traffic with 10.10.10.0/24 & gateway=10.10.10.1 in vLAN 80

the second port group called vMotion with 10.40.40.0/24 with gateway=10.10.10.1 in vLAN 100 ( There aren't vLAN 100 on standard switch and it is in distribute switch)

in the last, When I run vMotion to migrate VMs, it may be shown red alerts on Hosts icon and most of time it will be fade out rapidly!

I believe that this error will be related to one of this items:

1-mismatch setting in port group management and vmotion

2- two VMnics on standard switch is Acive and is teamed

3- physical network connectivity between hosts to physical switchs and may be mismatch configuration on physical CISCO switch (TOR)

4- or other hidden secrets :smileygrin:

what are some reason to this issue? thanks for all friends who are focused on this issue

png1.png

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

Start by making sure there are no errors reported on the pSwitches, you may need to set the ports connected to ESXi to be autonegotiate or to 1Gbps for speed. If there are errors on the pSwitches, find out why first and change the negotiating mode as necessary. If none, then you would look in deeper. I have a similar configuration and I have no issues.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky
VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009-2016

Author of the books 'VMWare ESX and ESXi in the Enterprise: Planning Deployment Virtualization Servers', Copyright 2011 Pearson Education. 'VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment', Copyright 2009 Pearson Education.

Virtualization and Cloud Security Analyst: The Virtualization Practice, LLC -- vSphere Upgrade Saga -- Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
ok7827125
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your response.

firstly, what are errors you said? if I have to check special errors, please mention that for me.

secondly, have you similar configuration and do not have any errors?

in my point of view, it may be related to teaming physical NICs. for example, in my configuration, two NICs on each ESXi is teamed, but some articles I have read they shown as Active/Standby

Could this be true?

Also, I check NICs, all of them is configured as Auto negotiate and 2 NICs which is team by each other shown as 1000Mbps !

If you could say other things for to check

0 Kudos