VMware Cloud Community
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Possible to migrate management network on standard vswitch to new standard vswitch in vcenter?

We have a few esxi 6.7 hosts in vcenter. On each host, we've installed two new 10g nics that are connected to new network switches and we're using standard vswitches. I've created the new vswitch with the new nics and created port groups for all of the vlans our VMs are in, and I've migrated my VMs to the new port groups. That was pretty slick, so kudos to VMware for that.

Is it possible to do the same thing with the mgmt network and keep the existing IP address? I see a "Migrate vmkernel adapter" option in the vswitch that looks like it would allow me to select a vmkernel, but I can't find any documentation that doesn't reference distributed switches. This is the closest thing I've found.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.networking.doc/GUID-55AFA706-C424-4...

I can clear the VMs off of one of my hosts and test, but if it goes offline I have to drive to the remote site to deal with it.

Thanks.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
Labels (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies