VMware Cloud Community
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Port moving and Port Monitoring?

1) What is the "Live Port Moving" setting in the advanced properties of a dvPortGroup? What does it do?

2) What is the "Start monitoring Port State" selection in the top right corner when looking at the ports tab for a port group?

3) What is the "Specify Port / dvSwitch / Port ID" setting on a VM (Network settings)? I can't seem to get it to populate?

/Henrik

0 Kudos
11 Replies
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Noone knows this? Really?

These are the last pieces I feel I need to get straight to understand all aspects of a dvSwitch. If any VMWare engineer knows this, I would be most happy.

/Henrik

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

1) What is the "Live Port Moving" setting in the advanced properties of a dvPortGroup? What does it do?

Live port migration means a stand alone dvPort can be moved to a dvPortGroup and thus acquiring the all the configuration of the dvPortGroup and a dvPort which is a part of a dvPortGroup can be moved out from a dvPortGroup , the subsequent config changes to the dvPortGroup does not apply to this dvPort.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Stand-alone dvPort??

Now what is this? Smiley Wink I will dive into my testlab right away and have a look at this whatever it is? I must have missed it completely..?

/Henrik

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

But..? How do you create a port on a dvSwitch without giving it a port group? I can't seem to find any way to do it?

/Henrik

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1) What is the "Live Port Moving" setting in the advanced properties of a dvPortGroup? What does it do?A port is termed live when it there is a client virtual nic connected to it. The live port moving option indicates if a live port can move between portgroups. If you move a live port from a portgroup A to portgroup B, it will get all the settings of the portgroup B that it was previously inheriting from portgroup A. 3) What is the "Specify Port / dvSwitch / Port ID" setting on a VM (Network settings)? I can't seem to get it to populate?

This is when you already know the instance of the dvPort you want to connect to. If you connect to a portgroup the port is automatically picked for you by vCenter. For advanced usecases where the VM needs to connect to a specific port with a particular configuration, please use this box.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

But..? How do you create a port on a dvSwitch without giving it a port group? I can't seem to find any way to do it?

You can't currently through the UI. You should be able to do this as an API client by writing perl scripts using the perl toolkit. Please let us know if you have particular usecases for wanting to create standalone ports. Let me know if this answers your questions.

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

How in the world did my e-mail out of office message end up in here? I dont think anyone is interested or able to read Swedish anyway, so I removed it. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Back to the matter at hand, and thank you for the good answers by the way...

1) Ok. So how do you actually move a port then? Drag/drop when live port moving is enabled on both port groups? Don't have the lab close by right now..

2) Ok

3) So.. The GUI is there to connect a VM to a "raw" port that s set directly on a dvSwitch, but there is no GUI to actually create what it is supposed to connect to? Ok.. cough Smiley Happy

I can't think of a situation when you would want to connect a single port just like that? Couldn't you just as well create a portgroup with just a single port in it? What would be the advantage with a "raw" port on a dvSwitch? What uplinks would such a port use?

And.. Last but not least some feedback: Don't include functionality in the GUI that is not covered in the helpfile or the product docs, It is only confusing.

The main thing for me right now is to understand all aspects of a dvSwitch, and I am slowly getting there. Right now I feel pretty close. Smiley Happy

I must say you have done a good job in vSphere and particularly the networking section of it. Much easier to only configure things once, and with host profiles it just got even easier!

/Henrik

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1) Ok. So how do youactually move a port then? Drag/drop when live port moving is enabledon both port groups? Don't have the lab close by right now..Currently you can only move ports between portgroups through the SDK. CLI support is being planned for for the same. And.. Last but not least

some feedback: Don't include functionality in the GUI that is not

covered in the helpfile or the product docs, It is only confusing. -> Point taken, we will make sure that the docs cover it.

For 3) we are going to provide the ability to mention a specific instance of a dvPort to connect to. This port might belong to a portgroup as well. The current version supports only standalone ports.

0 Kudos
HenrikElm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification. I love the new vNetwork stuff and want to know every checkbox functionality. Now, you seem to know this well. If you could take a look at these and give a quick reply, I would be most grateful and I then feel I would have quite a good grasp on the new functions:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/219830

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/219829

/Henrik

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I love the new vNetwork stuff and want to know every checkbox functionality.

Glad you really liked it.

0 Kudos