VMware Cloud Community
Kermitdafwog
Contributor
Contributor

Physical NICs

Hello

I am new to VMWare but have been tasked with setting up an ESX host for my company for development. I have a Dell Poweredge server with 4 Physcial NICs in it and was wondering what are the best practices in terms of assigning the physical NICs to my vswitch. I envisage requiring just one vswitch for the initial 3 Windows guests so is it best to drop all the physical NICs into the vswitch for performance? If so, can i remove one or 2 for another vswitch if I need to down the line?

I have read that i should have the service console redundant in case one NIC fails - how do i achieve this with only one vswitch?

Many thanks for any help in advance!

Fwog

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

I envisage requiring just one vswitch for the initial 3 Windows guests so is it best to drop all the physical NICs into the vswitch for performance? If so, can i remove one or 2 for another vswitch if I need to down the line?

Create two separate vSwitches with two NICs each. Put the service console on one vSwitch and the virtual machines on the other vSwitch. Ideally, you would have the service console on a management network that is not accessible by your virtual machines.

I have read that i should have the service console redundant in case one NIC fails - how do i achieve this with only one vswitch?

One vSwitch can have redundancy by having two physical NICs associated with it.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Kermitdafwog
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for your suggestions!

Just for reference, if pushed,can one physical NIC in a vswitch

service 3 or 4 VMs or would you suffer poor performance?

Thanks again

On 17 Sep 2010, at 21:33, vmroyale <communities-emailer@vmware.com

0 Kudos
chadwickking
Expert
Expert

As always that depends on the network traffic of the VM's. If they are not doing much in the way of that then you should be perfectly fine. Thats not much at all.

Cheers,

Chad King

VCP-410 | Server+

Twitter:

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Cheers, Chad King VCP4 Twitter: http://twitter.com/cwjking | virtualnoob.wordpress.com If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos