vSphere vNetwork

View Only
  • 1.  One-host site and distributed Switches

Posted Nov 15, 2013 08:47 PM

A number of geographical sites are under one vCenter Server.  Each of them have their own distributed switches, which connect to vCenter over the WAN.  This works fine.  However in one site there is only one ESXi host.  In this case, I'm not standardizing the configuration of this host with other hosts in the cluster.  I'm creating a dependency on the WAN for the switch to be managed by vCenter Server, as I can't manage the switch by connecting directly to the ESXi host, as I could with a standard switch.

One advantage of a vDS would be that I could add more hosts and then have a standardized configuration. However no future growth is anticipated for this site right now.

Another advantage is that I could use NIOC and load based teaming.  Right now the 2 x 10Gb physical network uplinks are very underutilized even at max load - probably less than 3%.

The licensing is already there, so there is no extra cost.

Is there a compelling reason to use or not use vDS in this scenario?  Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions?

• 2.  RE: One-host site and distributed Switches
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 20, 2013 12:29 AM

Evening,

I would sound that there is simply no reason not to use the vDS.  All the reasons to not use it have been elminated.

->Cost

->Experience

->Used to having it not be local for recovery situations

All you have left is bonus reasons to use the vDS.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,

Joseph

• 3.  RE: One-host site and distributed Switches

Posted Nov 21, 2013 10:43 PM

Hi,

I would say go for vDS, since all new networking future will be made available in VDS.  Also I dont find any reason not to use it.

Regards

Mohammed Emaad

• 4.  RE: One-host site and distributed Switches

Posted Nov 27, 2013 10:57 PM

Great -thanks for the input.