VMware Cloud Community
Jhel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No hosts/physical adapters available to add to Distributed vSwitch

This is probably something simple I'm overlooking, but haven't been able to figure it out...

Learning vSphere 5.5 via virtualisation on VM Workstation 9. Have lots of stuff functional already, at the point where I right now have two ESXi hosts, iSCSI datastore via standard vSwitches etc. No clustering as yet, but everything functioning as expected.

Currently looking into Distributed vSwitches. I'm trying to create one, but running into the issue that I see no hosts/physical adapters available to ADD to the dvSwitch... Nothing shows up in the list, neither does anything show up under "View Incompatible Hosts", so I can only proceed when I choose "add hosts later". This is via vCenter Client and/or vCenter Web Client connected to vCenter Server.

The two ESXi hosts have 5 NICs. They were all used in vSwitches for VMs, management, iSCSI..., so I decided then to add an extra NIC to each. I did so, rebooted the ESXi hosts, they each show their new unused NIC under Configuration > Network adapters.. This doesn't change anything, they still don't show up when adding hosts to the dvSwitch. I also tried putting them in a standard vSwitch first on each ESXi host, with not difference. Then I figured maybe you can only see hosts/physical adapters to add to a dvSwitch after they have been added to a cluster, so I quickly created a cluster, added both ESXi hosts to it, no difference. I changed the version of the dvSwitch to 4, to 5.5... I tried different settings for maximum number of physical adapters per host from 1 to 8 ... Nothing helps.

I hope I am correct in assuming that you can add individual NICs from hosts that also already have some NICs as uplink adapters used in standard vSwitches?

Any feedback appreciated,

JH

-

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jhel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Haha.. It was even more stupid than I thought.  Smiley Happy

In order to tackle another issue that I had a couple of days ago, I had created an additional Datacenter,with a very similar name. I had moved all hosts to that new Datacenter at one point. But when I tried creating the distributed vSwitch, I accidentlly rightclicked the OLD (empty) Datacenter. No hosts there to select... so OBVIOUSLY an empty list each time.

Can someone slap me hard, please? :smileyangry:

JH

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jhel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Haha.. It was even more stupid than I thought.  Smiley Happy

In order to tackle another issue that I had a couple of days ago, I had created an additional Datacenter,with a very similar name. I had moved all hosts to that new Datacenter at one point. But when I tried creating the distributed vSwitch, I accidentlly rightclicked the OLD (empty) Datacenter. No hosts there to select... so OBVIOUSLY an empty list each time.

Can someone slap me hard, please? :smileyangry:

JH

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

ROFL Smiley Happy Happens. Good you figured it out soon Smiley Happy

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos