VMware Cloud Community
rob_ellison
Contributor
Contributor

Nexus 1000v physical port problem and QoS questions

Hi, i have a fully working Nexus 1000v setup. everything was working perfectly until a reboot of one of the servers. now, although in the vSphere client everything looks right, if i look on the VSM and do a 'show interfaces' I cant see the physical interfaces attached to the server!

in the client they are shown as connected and the module is shown as OK in the VSM. i've removed the VEM with the 'no vem 4' commandand even reinstalled ESXi but still the server will not show the NICs in the VSM. has anybody seen this before or got a route into the guys at cisco? i'm just running the trial at the moment but have the license on order so logging a TAC case is difficult.

also, does anybody know what the roadmap for QoS on the 1000v is? it seems I can do marking as usual and some policing but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of queuing. maybe this is a limitation of it all being in software?

thanks,

Rob

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Rob,

Did you figure out the issue? You are saying that the VEM show up with "show module" but "show int" shows nothing?

As far as QOS and queuing, it's not available now and is on the roadmap but I don't have a timeline for you.

0 Kudos
rob_ellison
Contributor
Contributor

hi, yes i did resolve the issue - a reboot of the VSMs and it all came back. however, i still have no CDP which is a bit of a pain.

0 Kudos
hphuhtin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello. This issue may provide some nasty surprises. We got hit by this at last boot, when the latest patches had included a VEM patch. This lead us to believe something was wrong with the patching. However, the next host patched with the same patches didn't produce the same effect. Apparently this can happen at any reboot of an ESX which uses Nexus 1000V? Quite worrisome.. ?:|

However, the VSM reload fixed the issue too. Thanks for the original poster!

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you can reproduce the problem can you grab the following information??

Please collect the output of the following commands for module/interface not

coming up.

On VSM:

-

show platform internal event-history module <mod#>

show module internal event-history module <mod#>

show system internal im event-history module <mod#>

show system internal vmm event-history module <mod#>

show system internal ethpm event-history module <mod#>

If a specific interface is not coming up:

Physical port:

-

show system internal ethpm event-history interface eth<mod#/port#>

Veth Port:

-

1. first get the corresponding lveth for a given VETH from the following

command:

show system internal vim info interface veth<#>

Then get the output of the following command:

show system internal ethpm event-history interface lveth<mod#/port#> (the

lveth mod and port # got from the previous command)

-- -

I know thats a lot of information to gather but it will help us figure out what the problem is. So far we have been unable to reproduce this.

0 Kudos
rob_ellison
Contributor
Contributor

hi, the fix for both these issues is:

ensure you have your native vlan enabled on the trunk (sounds obvious but i managed to miss this)

disable igmp snooping globally on the VSM.

i've not had the issue since.

after my inital few issues with the Nexus 1000v it is now 100% stable. it think it takes a while to get a config spot on as there are a few pequliarities but once it's all configured right it's rock solid.

still a few bugs but it's all fine once you know what they are

hope this helps,

Rob

0 Kudos