VMware Cloud Community
ISEDFT
Contributor
Contributor

Nexus 1000V : vmnic assignment to Uplink

HI.

I've added 6 ESX/ESXi hosts to 1 Nexus 1000V (1 primary and 1 secondary).

Each host have 2 nics connected to this vDS, each vmnic is configured to be in a sub-group like that :

vmnic0 -> sub-group-id 0

vmnic1 -> sub-group-id 1

All of the hosts are well recognized as modules (sh mod).

The problem is that all of the vmnic1 (corresponding to the same uplink switch) are grouped in the same Uplink (Uplink00) (It's what I can see on vClient) whereas in the same time 3 of my hosts have their vmnic0 grouped in the Uplink01 and the others have their vmnic0 grouped in the Uplink01.

2011-05-24_190118.png

I checked the running-config : Nothing is different from one host to an other.

Have you any explaination about this misconfiguration ?

What can I check to troubleshout this problem ?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As long as you have the port-channel configured in the uplink port-profile its really just a cosmetic issue. The Uplink# in vSphere does not corresponds to the actual SGID for the N1KV.

If you want to verify your mapping use the "vemcmd show port" to verify the SGID and pinning.

louis

0 Kudos
KraL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I had a similar issue on recent installation (vsphere 5.5u2 and 1000V 5.2) : there was no logic on uplink number assignment.

Yes we can say it's cosmetic, but I would say that it's still important, and a clear and consistent organization of uplinks help to read the design.

I fixed my environment using the vsphere web client to add the servers to the 1000v : you can choose the uplink number for a particular vmnic. The default is auto-assignment ...

I don't remember seeing this option when using the c# client.

0 Kudos