VMware Cloud Community
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

New To Distributed Switch Clarification required.

Hi All

I need some clarification.

Just created a distributed switch, in my lab, which was created without any issues.

I have 2 hosts in my lab Host A and Host B.

There were no vmkernel ports to migrate, so on Host A i went to Configuration - Networking - Distributed Switch- Manage Virtual Adapters and created a vmkernel port.

But when i goto Host B Configuration - Networking - Distributed Switch, i am not able to see the vmkernel port i created.

Do i need to create the vmkernel port group on Host B manually? i was under the impression, the kernel port i created on Host A would automatically be visable to Host B?

This is where i need some clarification, so that going forward, i am hampered by this confusion.

Any clarification, would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre for the clarification, much appreciated and its clear now.

Port Group Comon

Kernel Groups (virtual adapters) must be configured individually on each server.

Not to get cracking.

Thanks once again for the confirmation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What's common on dvSwitches are the port groups. The Virtual Adapters for you create in these port groups (Management, vMotion, ...) are individual for each host. Each of these Virtual Adapters has an IP address which has to be unique on the network, so it wouldn't make much sense to replicate them, would it.

André

jitla1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre for the clarification, much appreciated and its clear now.

Port Group Comon

Kernel Groups (virtual adapters) must be configured individually on each server.

Not to get cracking.

Thanks once again for the confirmation

0 Kudos