VMware Cloud Community
ADiaz_1129
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networking Suggestions?

Any suggestions on Networking: Mgmt Ntwk, VM Ntwk and vMotion.

New deployment:

3 hosts with 4 x 10Gb NICs and approximately 30 to 40 Guest VMs.

Team x 2 NICs    

vSwitch0 | Mgmt and VM Ntwk (Team 1)

vSwitch1 | vMotion VLAN100, MTU 9000 (Team 2)

LB Policy - Route based on IP hash

Physical switch ports - LACP

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Use a single VDS (with all 4 10g uplinks) and create their associated dvPortgroups for MGMT, vMotion and each of VM networking.

If you have high network transmission on your virtual networking, use the LACP (on the physical side) and IP Hash (on the virtual side), otherwise, I think it's not necessary to make complex networking because troubleshooting of this situation can be harder anyway

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would suggest the following (without knowing your specific requirements):

vSwitch 0: 2 x 10 GbE interfaces, Management and vMotion. vmnic0 active for Management; vmnic1 standby. Opposite for vMotion.

Virtual Distributed Switch: 2 x 10 GbE interfaces, no LACP, route based on physical NIC load. All VM networks.

tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you use route based IP hash, you will configure the physical switches. During a possible problem, your troubleshooting can be difficult.

The physical uplink bandwidth is very high, if you do not do something like streaming, I recommend you to continue with the "routed based virtual port" option.

If it was me;

Management and vMotion = vSwitch 0

Virtual machine network = vSwitch 1

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Use a single VDS (with all 4 10g uplinks) and create their associated dvPortgroups for MGMT, vMotion and each of VM networking.

If you have high network transmission on your virtual networking, use the LACP (on the physical side) and IP Hash (on the virtual side), otherwise, I think it's not necessary to make complex networking because troubleshooting of this situation can be harder anyway

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos
ADiaz_1129
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Moderator: Moved to vSphere vNetwork

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ADiaz_1129
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Will need to setup as standard vSwitch (I have Essentials Plus) and setup Physical switch port-channel group mode ON.

0 Kudos