VMware Cloud Community
hansis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network-Settings vSphere4

Hello!

We have got our new vSphere4. I have not worked yet with network-settings and need the "best practice".

We have 3 ESX-Hosts with 4 physical NICS.

Also we have 2 redundant pSwitches.

my Concept:

vSwitch1 (2 NICS): ServiceConsole, vmKernel

vSwitch2 (2 NICS): virtual Machines

is this a well configuration?

and How should I make the settings of the vSwitches?

thx.

hansis

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This sounds good for the physical connection. I would additional suggest the following: If u r going to use the VMkernel port for VMotion in future, I would configure a dedicated active and standby adapter for the SC port and the VMkernel port. This means, the service console has adapter 0 active and 1 standby, the VMkernel viceversa. This is, that VMotion has the full bandwidth available during normal behavior. It can be configured on a port group base. Nevertheless the configuration looks also fine to me.

Rgds

Matthias

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Check this : Service Console Port on prodution network

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

--------------------------------- *Jain* | VCP4 | +Please award points, if you found answer useful+
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vSwitch1 (2 NICS): ServiceConsole, vmKernel

vSwitch2 (2 NICS): virtual Machines

Sound good for me if each pNIC in a pair is connected to a different pSwitch. Do these switches support load balancing protocols?

Enable load balancing and failover on the vSwitches.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hello!

thanks for answer.

you mean following configuration?:

vSwitch1-Nic1 connected to pSwitchA

vSwitch1-Nic2 connected to pSwitchB

vSwitch2-Nic1 connected to pSwitchA

vSwitch2-Nic2 connected to pSwitchB

is this correct?

thx.

hansi

0 Kudos
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

This sounds good for the physical connection. I would additional suggest the following: If u r going to use the VMkernel port for VMotion in future, I would configure a dedicated active and standby adapter for the SC port and the VMkernel port. This means, the service console has adapter 0 active and 1 standby, the VMkernel viceversa. This is, that VMotion has the full bandwidth available during normal behavior. It can be configured on a port group base. Nevertheless the configuration looks also fine to me.

Rgds

Matthias

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes.

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

many thanks to all.

hansi

0 Kudos