VMware Cloud Community
dcaldessa
Contributor
Contributor

Need some advice/help on this setup

Hello All

Over the last few weeks I have been working on an issue, by looking here and following guides etc. All with no resolution , so I am reaching out and asking

for some advice/resolution on this issue..

The current setup that I am experimenting with as I am a noob to esxi and vcenter is this ..

I have a domain on my main network , which i do  not want to interrupt with the testing of the vcenter domain in a virtual environment

So i have created a port group with no adapter, and inside it i have a VM with PFSense on it, and two vm's currently. the two network addresses i have are

outside - WAN connection on pfsense 192.168.1.213/24

inside - LAN - connection on pfsense 172.16.1.1/24

The VM's I have are

Win 8 Preview - Dhcp address from pfsense - Can access internet , can ping my pc 192.168.1.x

Vcenter DC - DHCP address from pfsense - same as above

But i cannot ping the 172.16.1.1/24 network from my physical pc , even though i have added a route on the pfsense to do so

I have in this projected tried using vyatta with the same results

Any information or help on what I may be doing wrong or what I need to do .. would be greatly appreciated..

thanks

DRW

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
0v3rc10ck3d
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll have to look it up but I think I remember reading that the vSwitch wont be active for any traffic traversing unless it has a physical nic attached to it. Can you temporarily add a nic to it and see if it works?

VCIX6 - NV | VCAP5 - DCA / DCD / CID | vExpert 2014,2015,2016 | http://www.vcrumbs.com - My Virtualization Blog!
0 Kudos