VMware Cloud Community
cw2
Contributor
Contributor

NIC configuration for iSCSI

I'm starting to configure (first time user) a Dell Blade Center (M100e) with Dell PowerEdge M610 blades.  I've got 2 dual redundant M6220  I/O modules and a Dell 3200i iSCSI SAN.  I'm running esxi 4.1

To avoid even more confusion I'll just talk about the primary rather than fallbacks.

I've got one NIC working and a basic VM running from local storage using our system IP range (110.X.X.X)

I'm having problems getting the iSCSI SAN communication to work and configuring the 2nd NIC.

The SAN is configured - default addresses:

Whatever I do (change the IP default, change the NIC configuration) I can't see, or even ping the SAN.  I think I've confused myself with a documentation overload.

Rather than give the range of options I've tried to get this routing to work, let's start with a clean sheet.

2 M6220 NICS - one using 110.X.X.X subnet works, the other ?

So, how should I be configuring this NIC to access the iSCSI SAN?

Simple suggestions only.  Be gentle!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to configure your vmkernel port with an IP address that can route to your iSCSI network - this document should help you configure for iSCSI connectivity to your ESXi host - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
lowteck
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

like the man said setup vmkernels for iSCSI.(on the same subnet, ie: 192.168.31.3,4,5 etc)

open the firewall port for iSCSI on you esx hosts (configuration>security profile>firewall>properties)

are the san nics on different switches?

I would cross your iSCSI connections so each dual port nic would have a connection to both switches.(better redundancy)

low

0 Kudos