VMware Cloud Community
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Moving from Standard to Distributed Switch

Hi,

We will be moving from Standard to Distributed Switch in our virtual environment. My concern is around vCenter. We have 1 vCenter for each of our 2 data centres and they manage the other data centre (cross site). This was already in prior to me joining but it gives visibility of the environment if the data centre is partially down. If there is going to be a large downtime we can then easily move the esxi hosts/vms to the vCenter that is still up (remove and add to inventory). Easy

But when we go to DVS from my reading up on it this wont be achievable as the DVS configuration are on the vCenter so you cant easily move ESXi/VMs between vCenters. What is the best way to over come this. Would it be vCenter HA? We are running 6.7 as well

Also to add the reason we are moving to DVS is because the environment will be moving to Cisco ACI

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I understand, you are physically moving ESXi hosts from one location to the other!?

So what's the reason for removing/adding hosts/VMs from/to the inventory?

Please explain.

André

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No sorry. Our ESXi hosts are managed by the vCenter at the opposite data centre. If a site DR is called we can add the ESXi hosts into the vCenter that is up and running. Because they are using Standard vSwitches you can do this but i dont think we will be able to achive the same once we go DVS?

Example. If ESXi hosts are configured with DVS can you move the host and VMs between different vCenters as you can with standard vSwitches?

0 Kudos