VMware Cloud Community
sureshadmin2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Moving a ESXi cluster with LACP/LAG configured on VM traffic uplinks

I have a cluster of 8 nodes running in vCenter 6.5 and want it to move to another vCenter.

The VM traffic phy uplinks (two of them) are configured with a LAG in DVS. i have created a VSS in every host and respective portgroups. in order to move them between vCenter's, i need to move the VM's to standard switch,

for this if i remove a uplink from LAG and connect to standard switch, and change the VM portgroup to VSS, the virtual machine never comes into network.

Even in some hosts i observed, the moment i remove a uplink from LAG the VM's in the host stops responding to network all of a sudden.

what is the correct procedure to be followed to move the VM's from DVS with LAG configured to standard switch?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dtaliafe
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

LACP is supported on the vDS only.  I'm guessing that when you move one uplink to the VSS you'll need to configure the physical port to remove it from the port-channel.  Essentially do the reverse of what is being done in this article:

Hot migrating from vSwitch/dvSwitch to LACP · RR Labs

It is possible to have a LAG on a VSS, but only IP hash is supported for load balancing and I don't think you can be using LACP.  Since you're only temporarily moving to the VSS to migrate between vCenters I wouldn't bother with the additional complexity of configuring a LAG for the VSS.

I think your procedure looks correct.

https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2017/11/moving-esxi-hosts-with-lacplag-between-vcenter-servers.html

0 Kudos
sureshadmin2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply.

I too believe that physical port to be removed from the port-channel, but is there any vmware article or KB to confirm this?

I found this William's post https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2017/11/moving-esxi-hosts-with-lacplag-between-vcenter-servers.html  that says it can be moved just like that to VSS without removing physical port from port channel, but this never works.

Interested to know what is the VMware supported way of doing this.

0 Kudos