VMware Cloud Community
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Move physical adapters to DVS

I initially setup my vCenter to host connectivity using vSwitches. I now want to move those adapters to the DVS where my other adapters are already. Will I lose connectivity to a host when I remove the adapter from the vSwitch to move it to the DVS? When I added the hosts to vCenter originally I did it by FQDN, not IP address, but was not sure if it would matter or not. Is it simply just adding the host back in to vCenter if connectivity drops?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As longas the destination port-group for the Service Console is configured correctly it will work. The host will drop network for a few seconds and then come up on the port-group of the VDS. Just make sure your port-group for the SC on the VDS is setup correctly and it will work.

louis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Once to create the DVS there is a migration tools to move the vSwtich to the DVS otherwise remove 1 of 2 adapters from the vswitch and connect to the DVS and move what you need. Check out the migration tool

Steve Beaver

VMware Communities User Moderator

VMware vExpert 2009

====

Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Come check out my blog: www.theVirtualBlackHole.com

Come follow me on twitter

*Virtualization is a journey, not a project.*

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All my VMs have already been moved. I'm concerned about the connectivity to vCenter being lost when I move the one adapter (first physical NIC) from the vSwitch to be moved over to the DVS.

0 Kudos
lwatta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

As longas the destination port-group for the Service Console is configured correctly it will work. The host will drop network for a few seconds and then come up on the port-group of the VDS. Just make sure your port-group for the SC on the VDS is setup correctly and it will work.

louis

0 Kudos
mcvosi
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Got it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos