VMware Cloud Community
rept
Contributor
Contributor

Move VM's over 1 port

I have the following situation for a customer of mine:

- 2 ESX5 hosts in the same datacenter

- They both have a connection to the outside world, which is monitored for traffic (they need to pay for bandwidth used)

- They both have a connection to the inside network (which isn't monitored for traffic)

We need to be able to reach both hosts from the outside.

We want to be able able to move or clone boxes between the two hosts but the moving needs to use the inside network connection.

I already tried enabling vMotion only on the second connection (inside) but when I do a clone the bandwidth of the primary is going up...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

management network is on both inside and out?

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
rept
Contributor
Contributor

Only on the outside. Do I need to create both?  I tried to do that before but it seems there can only be one management network?  If I try to create a new one on vSwitch2 I only can add Virtual Machine or VMKernel (as connection type).

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If I try to create a new one on vSwitch2 I only can add Virtual Machine or VMKernel (as connection type).

The Management uses a VMKernel network port group. With the said, I'd suggest you don't connect the Management Network directly to the Internet, but rather think of a firewall and/or VPN solution (even pfSense can do this) This would not only increase security, but also limit the public traffic. Cold migrations and cloning (depending on what you exactly do) use the Management Network. Don't mix up vMotion - which only migrateds workloads but not storage - with cloning or migration.

André

0 Kudos
rept
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Andrė,

Thanks for your reply but I'm confused.  Does this mean it is not possible?   I don't have the option to add additional hosts, fysical firewalls or anything.  I have 2 times 1u and that's it...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If it's the traffic on each of the host's public uplink - and not the traffic on e.g. a gateway where the traffic actually leaves the datacenter - which is monitored then there might not be much that you can do. It is possible to create a second Management Network on your internal network, but I'm currently not aware of a supported way to prioritize which route (Management Network) the cloning traffic will use.

André

rept
Contributor
Contributor

Could ipv6 help out here? 

Use ipv6 for the outside part and ipv4 internally?

How can I set that up (if it would work)

0 Kudos