VMware Cloud Community
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Migrating from std switch to distributed switch.

I have 2 Dell T710 with 6 NIC cards.

I have configured on the 4 standard vSwitches.  Each Standard vSwitch is connected to a physical nic card.

I have one vSwitch to handle the management, one for vMotion, one for iSCSI and the other one for the VM's traffic.

The reason that I configured this is to put the vMotion, iSCSI on a different NIC and thus a different port on the physical port so as to gain the maximum throughtput.

Now when I wanted to configure a vDistributed switch.  I was reading this vmware document (http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere-vnetwork-ds-migration-configuration-wp.pdf) and it seems to be all VLAN based.  In the vDistributed switch, I create port group and then associate the port group to the dvUplink and the dvUplink will map to the physcial NIC on the host.

I don't seem to find an option to specify on the dvPortGroup if the port group is for vMotion, management and/or iSCSI traffic.

Am I missing something.

Can someone point me to some vDistributed switch best practice?

thanks for the information and have a Happy New Year,

anthony.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

atc wrote:

I don't seem to find an option to specify on the dvPortGroup if the port group is for vMotion, management and/or iSCSI traffic.

Am I missing something.

You will have to go to the host configuration tab, networking, distributed switch - then "virtual adapters" - this is the Vmkernel ports for the Distributed Switches.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Oh, is it true that the vDistributed switch is only for the VMs?  The vmkernel still uses the stardard switch for communication?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

atc wrote:

Am I missing something.

You will have to go to the host configuration tab, networking, distributed switch - then "virtual adapters" - this is the Vmkernel ports for the Distributed Switches.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks.

0 Kudos