VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Migrating from a virtual switch to Distributed Switch

I have a cluster that is licensed for Enterprise-Plus. I would like to move the host over to a distributed switch. The configuration for the virtual switch is as follows:

4 nics connected to a host-The nics are part of an EtherChannel. The NICs are teamed with route ip based on IP hash. All of the nics are connected to the same vSwitch with port groups created for access to different VLANS

I have done the following to try to migrate to the new distributed switch: I broke up the EtherChannel and removed three nics from the virtual switch and assigned them to the distributed switch. At the sametime we changed the NIC teaming on the virtual switch to route based on the originating virtual port ID. I then migrated the service console over to the new distributed switch successfully. I created the port groups on the virtual switch.

The issue is when I re-create the EtherChannel the hosts drops off the network. I noticed the following: "See attachment"

Anyone using EtherChannel with Distributed Switches?

Any help would be appreciated...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How did you set up etherchannel on your Cisco switch ? You can not use LACP or PAgP. You must use "channel-group mode on".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EVW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How did you set up etherchannel on your Cisco switch ? You can not use LACP or PAgP. You must use "channel-group mode on".

0 Kudos
kac2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

i dont use etherchannel on our dVS and have no problems. it might make things a bit easier. but i can't say if its possible or not

jeffdorn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is an old post, but I ran across the same issue and it took me awhile to figure out so I thought I'd post a solution. Instead of changing the Teaming and Failover load balancing to "Route based on IP hash" on the dvUplink, I needed to change this setting at the dvPort Group level. Once I did this, my etherchannel worked properly again.

0 Kudos