VMware Cloud Community
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Migrate vmnic from Nexus 1000V to standard switch: no connectivity

Hi all,

We want to get rid of the Cisco Nexus 1000v switches in order to upgrade the hosts, but are struggling with the migration. I create a new standard switch on every host that is connected to the 1000v, with corresponding port groups including VLAN ids. I can migrate one of the physical nics from the 1000v to the standard switch, but as soon as I migrate a vm on that host to the same network on the standard switch, that vm loses all connectivity.

I have the feeling it has something to do with VLANs but I am no network guru... On the migrated vmnic I can see the IP ranges and the VLAN id so that seems ok. On the other hand, I don't see that information on the vmnic that is still on the 1000v.

I also tried this with a new DVS but I get the same results. And then I have to do a second migration because moving hosts to a new vCenter with DVS is not supported.

Does anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The network admin discovered an old VPC config that was no longer valid. After resolving this both vmnics are operational. Problem solved...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jburen
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The network admin discovered an old VPC config that was no longer valid. After resolving this both vmnics are operational. Problem solved...

0 Kudos