VMware Cloud Community
BrandenTimm
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft NLB in Unicast Mode - How Many IPs are Needed?

Allow me to preface this discussion by saying that this is chiefly a Windows configuration issue, but following their guides has yielded a broken configruration and I am curious as to whether there is something about the ESX virtual networking stack that requires an alternate configuration.

As far as I can tell, best practices for doing Unicast NLB between Windows 2k3 hosts calls for using two network adapters. One for host management, the other for the cluster.

So far, I can only get this to work if I assign a "Dedicated IP" to the cluster adapter, in addition to the Cluster IP. If I do not specify this, I cannot talk to peers in the cluster, even though there is another NIC with a static IP not bound to NLB in each host.

For example, I think it should work like this, with the cluster IP being 192.168.1.100:

-

Host 1

Management NIC: 192.168.1.10

Cluster NIC: 192.168.1.100

Host 2

Management NIC: 192.168.1.11

Cluster NIC: 192.168.1.100

-

I configured it this way using NLB Manager. I did not assign a dedicated IP to the cluster adapter when adding a host to the cluster. However, with the above configuration, I cannot ping Host 1's mangement IP from Host 2, or vice versa, or add the second host to the cluster.

What does seem to work is assigning an additional static IP to the cluster adapter, via the "Dedicated IP" field, when you add the host to the cluster in NLB Manager, yielding this:

-

Host 1

Management NIC: 192.168.1.10

Cluster NIC: 192.168.1.11, 192.168.1.100

Host 2

Management NIC: 192.168.1.12

Cluster NIC: 192.168.1.13, 192.168.1.100

So, does Unicast NLB require 2 Static IPs per host plus the static IP for the cluster, or am I misconfiguring something?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Have you seen the Implementing Microsoft Network Load Balancing in a Virtualized Environment technical note? Perhaps it might help.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
BrandenTimm
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have read that document. What confuses me is the following section:

"Each Network Load Balancing node requires a static IP address to be assigned to the Network Load

Balancing‐bound adapter. You need one or more additional static IP addresses to be used as the virtual IP

addresses of the Network Load Balancing cluster. Use IP addresses that belong to the same subnet."

I am confused because this part of the document doesn't seem to differenciate between Unicast and Multicast modes - certainly I understand why a Multicast cluster adapter would need a dedicated IP address, but why does a Unicast cluster adapter need its own dedicated IP in addition to the cluster IP? It's only one MAC after all ...

0 Kudos
racegod
Contributor
Contributor

your not supposed to be able to ping the host directly only the VIP.

i'm guessing that whatever happens to the hosts ip that you bind to the VIP cluster ip, happens all the ip's on the hosts.

Host 1: 192.168.1.10

Cluster VIP: 192.168.1.12

Host 2: 192.168.1.11

you should only be able to reach X.X.1.12

0 Kudos
racegod
Contributor
Contributor

your not supposed to be able to ping the host directly only the VIP.

i'm guessing that whatever happens to the hosts ip that you bind to the VIP cluster ip, happens all the ip's on the hosts.

Host 1: 192.168.1.10

Cluster VIP: 192.168.1.12

Host 2: 192.168.1.11

you should only be able to reach X.X.1.12

0 Kudos
smzah
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Any update on this case please ?
I m facing the same issue with workstation 9

Thanks in advance.