VMware Cloud Community
Si-clone
Contributor
Contributor

Malformed LLC packets

Hello everyone,

I recently had cause to run up a network packet analyzer (Wireshark) on a VM and noticed a large amount of LLC protocol Broadcast packets that are malformed.

Wireshark reports an error: Expert Info (Error/Malformed): Length field value goes past the end of the payload.

The source addresses are vmware MAC addresses but I haven't yet had time to track down what hosts. The packet/frame appears to be repeated three times (three different packets) within about 1 second of each other.

I couldn't find much on Google about the error and I realise that the specific error msg is specific to Wireshark.

I appreciate I haven't given much information here, but I'm a little lost as to what the cause of these packets could be, and more so whether the malformed packet is actually a problem.

I'm going to start blindly troubleshooting tomorrow, but would aprpeciate any helpful comments that might start me in the right direction.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Harish_Chilikot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

these are most likely beacon packets, sent by the pNICs. I am not sure about the error message but i don't think there could be any problem due to these beacon packets.

0 Kudos