VMware Cloud Community
fierobuff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Load Based Teaming not working

I have two hosts configured on a distributed switch. One host has four NICs while the other has two.  The distributed port group is set for Route based on physical NIC load under Teaming and Failover.  I am running VMWare 5.0.  All my NICs show connected but when I try a load balancing test it doesn't work.  The performance statistics show that all  my traffic is staying on one NIC.  I have Gig interfaces and according to the charts, my traffic is maxing out.  The secondary NIC isn't even getting use.  Is there something I am missing?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I recall traffic going from single source to a single destination will use a single physical NIC - so it is performing as expected.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - How many VMs are you using for your testing? VMware really does not do true load balancing -

I have also moved this to a more appropriate forum.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
fierobuff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For the time being I am using 2.  One on each host.  I am using iPerf to simulate the traffic between the two machines.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As I recall traffic going from single source to a single destination will use a single physical NIC - so it is performing as expected.

0 Kudos
fierobuff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I misunderstood how it worked.  I thought if there were 2 NICs in the team and one was saturated, it would move some of the traffic over to the unused NIC.  What you are saying is that if I had multiple VMs on on the hosts and one NIC was being over utilized then it would move one or more of these VMs to the unused NICs?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That is correct -

0 Kudos
fierobuff
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the explanation.

0 Kudos