VMware Cloud Community
Asmodai73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LACP 2GB bandwidth usable by the VM

Hello,

I have been looking for several hours if it is possible to do with 1 esxi 6.7 host a link aggregation of 1GB+1GB to have a throughput usable by a 2GB VM.

This is not feasible because NFS does not allow it?

Why does this work with hyper-v?

Example setup:

1 server 2 ethernet ports + hyper-v 2019 + 1 vm srv-veeam

1 NAS 2 ethernet ports

1 swtich with LACP function

Result: hyper-v teaming of the 2 network cards + NAS configuration of the 2 network cards in LACP + configuration of the switch for the 2 server ports in LACP and 2 NAS ports in LACP.

Here the transfer reaches 2GB and an iperf test also confirms that the link is 2GB.

Is it really impossible to do this kind of configuration on esxi or maybe with vsphere?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2034277

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Asmodai73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After verification, the 1GB+1GB link agreement will give a 2GB LACP link BUT which cannot exceed 1GB in speed, the frames only use one link to a given device.
Could you confirm that it is not possible, regardless of the configuration, to have between ESXi01/VM01 to ESXi02/VM02(or NAS link 10GB) a 2GB link with an LACP of 2 link 1GB cards on ESXi01, and ESXi02 10GB card (or NAS 10GB)?

The only solution is a 10GB link on each ESXi01 and ESXi02 host?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This and other features are available with distributed virtual switches only.

André

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What edition of vSphere are you running i.e Enterprise or Enterprise Plus. Also what version of ESXi are you running. Please include the VCSA version as well....

0 Kudos
Asmodai73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,
Thank you for your interest in my question, this is a general one.
I would like to know if it is possible to do the same thing as a hyper-v as explained above.
If yes with an esxi which license which tool?
If so with VCSA which license which tool?

Thank you in advance for your replies

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your ESXi hosts must be licensed with a vSphere Enterprise Plus license, as per page 6: https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/products/vsphere/vmware-vsphere-pr...

The ESXi hosts must be managed by a licensed vCenter Server.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Asmodai73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply. Configuration must be done in vSphere Distributed Switch?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2034277

0 Kudos
Asmodai73
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After verification, the 1GB+1GB link agreement will give a 2GB LACP link BUT which cannot exceed 1GB in speed, the frames only use one link to a given device.
Could you confirm that it is not possible, regardless of the configuration, to have between ESXi01/VM01 to ESXi02/VM02(or NAS link 10GB) a 2GB link with an LACP of 2 link 1GB cards on ESXi01, and ESXi02 10GB card (or NAS 10GB)?

The only solution is a 10GB link on each ESXi01 and ESXi02 host?

0 Kudos