VMware Cloud Community
ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jumbo Frames

Would it be beneficial to enable Jumbo frames from the isolated SAN switches to my Vmware Hosts, but leave everything else as standard?  Or would that cause issues?  Any help would be appreciated.  So confused. L

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it should work if the complete "chain" (port group, vSwitch, physical switch, storage) is configured for Jumbo Frames. You can verify whether Jumbo Frames work without fragmentation by running e.g. vmkping -s 8972 -d <IP address of storage system> from the ESXi host's command line.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

For Jumbo Frames to be used in a network, all components (end-to-end) need to support it. There's no benefit with enabling them only on the switches. However - to answer your question - it should cause no issues.

André

0 Kudos
ckeith7777
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry, one more question.

I would have my Compellent SAN NIC's set to Jumbo, the VMware vmkernel ports set to jumbo as well as the isolated switches between.  So i can vmkping from the esxi host to the SAN with jumbo frames.  But all of the non-SAN traffic will be standard.  Will this scenario work?  Recommendations?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, it should work if the complete "chain" (port group, vSwitch, physical switch, storage) is configured for Jumbo Frames. You can verify whether Jumbo Frames work without fragmentation by running e.g. vmkping -s 8972 -d <IP address of storage system> from the ESXi host's command line.

André

0 Kudos