VMware Cloud Community
dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue with adding physical adapter to virtual switch

Hi,

I seem to be having this issue: Re: Cannot add network adapter to ESXi 6.5 VM? . I was trying to reset the interface so I removed the physical adapter from the vSwitch. When I go back to the vswitch and I try to add a uplink I get " There are no free physical adapters to attach to this virtual switch.". Is there any way to do a reset or something else so VmWare can see all available NIC's?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try with above mentioned host client, alternatively you can SSH to host and execute the following command replacing vSwitch and vmnic name accordingly.

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnic1 --vswitch-name=vSwitch0

View solution in original post

16 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Which version/build of the Web Client do you use?

The latest version can be found at ESXi Embedded Host Client

André

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try with above mentioned host client, alternatively you can SSH to host and execute the following command replacing vSwitch and vmnic name accordingly.

esxcli network vswitch standard uplink add --uplink-name=vmnic1 --vswitch-name=vSwitch0

dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see that I am running:

Looking at ESXi Embedded Host Client  the latest version is 1.23.0. What is the correct way to update it ? I assume from Help -> Update and then put in the URL http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmw-tools/esxui/esxui-signed-6360286.vib  or is there a bundle that should be updated for other fixes?

0 Kudos
dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what I did for now but I would like for the GUI to work. I am going to work on upgrading to the latest. Waiting on a response to my other question.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes. to update the Embedded Host Client you can either use the URL (if the host has Internet access), or to download the .vib, upload it to a datastore and enter the vmfs path e.g. /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>/<folder>/esxui-signed-######.vib.

Don't forget to delete the browser cache after updating the client.

André

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As Andre mentioned above, download vib and put it in datastore. Then execute command. Once command executed, you can access host via https://yourhostip/ui

esxcli software vib install -v /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>/<folder>/esxui-signed-######.vib

dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did that but I am still having the errors that others mentioned when trying to add NIC cards, with the system saying the network it's connected to is not valid etc. I assume this is a bug?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Please upload :

1. Output of esxcli network nic list

2. Snapshot of error, vSwitch up-links snapshot.

0 Kudos
dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In order to get a snapshot I would need to remove the physical NIX from the vswitch and I don't want to do it if the system is now being used. Below is the output of the NIC's on the box.

[root@localhost:~] esxcli network nic list

Name    PCI Device    Driver  Admin Status  Link Status  Speed  Duplex  MAC Address         MTU  Description                                                

------  ------------  ------  ------------  -----------  -----  ------  -----------------  ----  ------------------------------------------------------------

vmnic0  0000:01:00.0  ntg3    Up            Up            1000  Full    c8:1f:66:fb:3e:99  1500  Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet    

vmnic1  0000:01:00.1  ntg3    Up            Down             0  Half    c8:1f:66:fb:3e:9a  1500  Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet    

vmnic2  0000:02:00.0  ntg3    Up            Down             0  Half    c8:1f:66:fb:3e:9b  1500  Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet    

vmnic3  0000:02:00.1  ntg3    Up            Up            1000  Full    c8:1f:66:fb:3e:9c  1500  Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5720 Gigabit Ethernet    

vmnic4  0000:42:00.0  bnx2x   Up            Up           10000  Full    00:0a:f7:75:45:50  1500  QLogic Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet

vmnic5  0000:42:00.1  bnx2x   Up            Up           10000  Full    00:0a:f7:75:45:52  1500  QLogic Corporation NetXtreme II BCM57810 10 Gigabit Ethernet

I still have an issue that others seem to have where they can't create a VM with a network interface OR add a network interface to a current guest. When I try to add a network card I get:

Unfortunately, we hit an error that we weren't expecting.

The client may continue working, but at this point, we recommend refreshing your browser and submitting a bug report.

Press the Esc key to hide this dialog and continue without refreshing.

When I try to create a VM if I have a Network card in the config I get "The VM configuration was rejected. Please see browser Console OK". It seems like I am not the only one with these two issues.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

From vmnic 0 to 5, which one is the question, vmnic1 and 2 aren't configured yet !

0 Kudos
dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is the current issue.

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I assume you have updated ESXI host client as Andre mentioned to version 1.23. I believe this was deployed as from OVF where issue persists as you mentioned link initially. To reproduce issue if this with embedded host client you could use PowerCli command New-NetworkAdapter and see if it works.

0 Kudos
dovi5988
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My esx-ui version is 1.23.0-6360286. Note that this is the only one I upgraded and I wonder if I need to upgrade the others. Also this host was created directly from VMWare. I did not go based on any iamge that was downloaded. I will look around for the powerCLI and try to use it but if there are bugs in the GUI shouldn't they be addressed?

0 Kudos
burran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vijay,

Is this a know issue with the 6.5U1 ??

0 Kudos
Taz79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, its an issue with 6.5U1 .. I had that with esx-ui 1.21.0. I upgraded esx-ui to 1.24.0 and can now add a second NIC to my vSwitch wich i could not do before...

0 Kudos
jmcgee131
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for a solid fix!

0 Kudos