VMware Cloud Community
ShuaiY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any easier, non-impactful way to move live VM from VDS to VSS?

I have live VM running on portgroup of a VDS (v7.0.0) and I would like to vMotion it to a portgroup of a VSS on a different host. vCenter does not allow me to perform such vMotion...

I can not do cold migration...

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bmcb555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here you go, powercli is the easiest way to achieve that

First connect to your vcenter - Connect-VIServer -Server X.X.X.X

Change the targetNetwork to whatever you want it to be. Change the vmNames to whatever you need them to be "vm1", "vm2", "v3" and that'll migrate them all across.

Output from my lab

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop> .\change_network.ps1

Name Type NetworkName MacAddress WakeOnLan
Enabled
---- ---- ----------- ---------- ---------
Network adapter 1 Vmxnet3 Management_VLA… 00:0c:29:68:c5:b6 True
Network changed for nsxvcenter.homelab.local to Management_VLAN70

Change the script to ps1 extension and obviously demo it in a lab before running a random persons script 🙂 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vMotion from VDS to VSS to another host is not possible. First move all VMs to local VSS then vMotion all to another host. Please go through the following document for the same:

https://vmexplorer.com/2018/11/02/vcenter-server-6-5-migrate-vms-from-virtual-distributed-switch-to-...

Regards,

Sachchidanand

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
bmcb555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've just been testing this in a lab, no issues vmotioning from a vDS to a vSS. Aslong as the vmotion networks can communicate there shouldn't be any issues. Could you share the error with me?

0 Kudos
ShuaiY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Screenshot is attached. The VM is running on the VDS currently on host1 and when I try to vMotion it to VSS on host2, I got this and can not proceed (if the VM is live). 

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

0 Kudos
bmcb555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, I see the problem now, I went vSS to vDS. Can you migrate the VM into a vSS before vmotion? Edit Setting change the host network to a vSS and then migrate to the destination? 

0 Kudos
ShuaiY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, VSS to VDS is fine. My challenge is from VDS to VSS. 

I can move the VM onto a portgroup of local VSS and then vMotion. But it would is pretty handful for large number of VMs, hence I am looking for an easier alternative ways...

0 Kudos
bmcb555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here you go, powercli is the easiest way to achieve that

First connect to your vcenter - Connect-VIServer -Server X.X.X.X

Change the targetNetwork to whatever you want it to be. Change the vmNames to whatever you need them to be "vm1", "vm2", "v3" and that'll migrate them all across.

Output from my lab

PS C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop> .\change_network.ps1

Name Type NetworkName MacAddress WakeOnLan
Enabled
---- ---- ----------- ---------- ---------
Network adapter 1 Vmxnet3 Management_VLA… 00:0c:29:68:c5:b6 True
Network changed for nsxvcenter.homelab.local to Management_VLAN70

Change the script to ps1 extension and obviously demo it in a lab before running a random persons script 🙂 

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

vMotion from VDS to VSS to another host is not possible. First move all VMs to local VSS then vMotion all to another host. Please go through the following document for the same:

https://vmexplorer.com/2018/11/02/vcenter-server-6-5-migrate-vms-from-virtual-distributed-switch-to-...

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
ShuaiY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your script is only to change VM NIC on the same host and then perform vMotion afterwards in vCenter, right?

0 Kudos
ShuaiY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah, that is one option...The other workaround I am also thinking about is to extend the VDS to the destination host. vMotion the VM to the destination host first on VDS and then change the VM NIC to the VSS on destination host.

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please make sure vDS version is same on source and destination. Mismatch of vDS version may cause issue. please go through the following KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/52248

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
ShuaiY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understood.

Is there a quick compatibility matrix between vCenter/vSphere ESXi and VDS version? Release notes do not seem to provide the information.

0 Kudos
bmcb555
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it'll only change the vNIC for you, you can build onto it if you want to include vmotion in there as well. 

0 Kudos