VMware Cloud Community
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Import/Export dvSwitch in 5.1

Can anyone tell me if I can import a dvSwitch config on a host configured with standard switches? (all hosts are physically identical) Will the import convert everything (dvuplinks, vmk nics, pNICs) to a distributed switch or will I need to migrate the standard vSwitch? My goal is to kickstart the host and create a standard switch to provide some connectivity, and then import the dvSwitch config. I see there are powerCLI scripts to handle the import/export.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

SInce a distributed switch is a feature of vCenter you do not import it to an ESXi host - you can use Host Profiles to apply a profile that includes a distributed switch as part of the profile - check out http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere-vnetwork-ds-migration-configuration-wp.pdf for more information

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Understood. Will check that out. Thanks.

0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Turned out the white paper was for vsphere 4, so the import & export of the dvswitch config isn't discussed.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry did not notice but host profiles still function in the same fashion so the document shoudl apply - but here is the vSphere 5.1 Host Profile documentation - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-51-host-pr...  -

If you have created a vDS and are looking to copy that configuration onto a new host - a host profile is still the way to go - and you can export the host profiles and move it to a different environment -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
akshunj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good to know thx. In the past I just relied on my kickstart  to take care of everything.  With the dvs that's not an option. I need to test out the import/export of the dvs. I was concerned about how the dvuplinks and vmkernel ports are handled.

If it doesn't work I'll just go with the host profiles.

0 Kudos