VMware Cloud Community
Eam404
Contributor
Contributor

ISCSI/VLAN Question

Good afternoon -

I currently have a working setup with separate fully redundant ISCSI networks.  I have a total of 3 vSwitches,  ISCSI-1, ISCSI-2 and vSwitch0 which holds a port group for my Server VLAN, and a port group for the Management.  See below for networking picture:

vnetworking.JPG

This setup works quite well, and speed is great.  My question is this, on the Backup Exec vm that currently sits in the Server VLAN (20) I need to connect to my SAN via the Microsoft ISCSI initiator from within the VM.  I am not sure how to go about this (how to get connectivity network wise).  I could list all the things i thought of on how to do this, portgroups on iscsi network etc.. but I'll let the experts answer   My reason for this is to get around the 2TB limit on ESX.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

The easiest way around this is to create a virtual machine port group on either virtual switch ISCSI or ISCSI2.  The assign a 2nd nic to your BE VM and assign it to this newly created port group.  Unbind everything but TCP/IP from this adapter in Windows and make sure you turn off all the DNS registration settings as well.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Eam404
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the answer - that is what I was thinking - I guess I'm stuck either using ISCSI-1 or ISCSI-2 in other words, I have to use one or the other.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, unless you have some more NICs (or capacity for them) in that server.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Eam404
Contributor
Contributor

Got ya - yes no more nic's - Thank you very much for the quick reply.  I know its not recomended to put VM's on the ISCSI network however I think I'd have a hard time filling up 1g links.  Thanks again vmroyale!

0 Kudos