VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hypervizor on DVS?

I have been running hybrid solution with VSS(management) and DVS everything else. I then started converting management over to DVS and removing all VSS. Then I ran into a situation where I had to remove and re-add servers to the cluster(this on a hybrid cluster). I then thought if my management port was DVS i would have to remove that before removing from the cluster, then I guess the only way to add it back would be to set it up as a VSS and then convert back to DVS?

I want my management ports on DVS so I can do LLDP, but now I am thinking I might be risking some pain if I have to remove and re-add servers to cluster.

Just looking for some comments. Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Jedijeff,

Yes you are right, you can simply migrate between both directions.

I would recommend to create a second management network in vSS (All hosts) hosts for redundancy, so that if DVS is down we will be able to manage via second Management port Smiley Happy .

Karthic.
vRNI TPM

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i figured out I can simply do a migrate back to a Standard switch before removal.

0 Kudos
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Jedijeff,

Yes you are right, you can simply migrate between both directions.

I would recommend to create a second management network in vSS (All hosts) hosts for redundancy, so that if DVS is down we will be able to manage via second Management port Smiley Happy .

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you. For redundancy I am actually using 2 physical nics active/standby on 2 separate switches.

0 Kudos