VMware Cloud Community
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to do NIC Teaming?

I know it is possible to have 2 NICs for VM Network, but is it as simple as adding 2 NICs to the VM Network? Because I notice that once I reboot my ESX 4.0 host, the teamed VM Network will fail to work. Do I need to do any configuration on the switch(es) that these 2 NICs are connected to as well?

Also, is it possible to configure or select the teaming to have 1 active and 1 standby or load balancing?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Portfast is configured on the physical switch indeed. For some reason I doubt it is the issue you're experiencing.

Can you please detail your config:

vSwitch - NICS attached - Trunking - Load Balancing

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

Blogging: | Twitter:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes it is and it's that simple. Active/Standby does not make sense in this case as clearly you would want to utilize both nics. I would recommend to set spanning tree to portfast on the appropriate physical switch port to avoid the switch blocking traffic. Rest should just work fine.

Duncan

-

Now available: Paper - vSphere 4.0 Quick Start Guide (via amazon.com) | PDF (via lulu.com)

crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for replying. Is portfast something I need to configure on my switches? Any idea why the teamed VM Network will fail unless I delete and recreate the Network and IP again after a reboot?

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

a virtual machine portgroup does not get an IP address, so your last statement doesn't make sense that you have to delete and recreate it after a reboot. can you upload a screenshot of what you are talking about???

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi, the IP I mentioned is the 2 NICs teamed in the VM Network, not the VMs portfast. Smiley Happy The teamed NIC will not work after a reboot.

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

So, are you using vlan's? if you are, what does your port configuration look like for the physical switch?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Portfast is configured on the physical switch indeed. For some reason I doubt it is the issue you're experiencing.

Can you please detail your config:

vSwitch - NICS attached - Trunking - Load Balancing

Duncan

-

0 Kudos
crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi depping,

Since it's not working, I have already remove the Teaming. But what I did was very straight forward. I simply go to Configuration Tab > Networking > Click Properties of vSwitch0 > at Network Adapters Tab, click Add button and tick vmnic3 etc. Do I need to do anything else? Does this NIC need to have static IP or can it works with Dynamic IP?

0 Kudos
danm66
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

No, just make sure it is setup for the same subnet(s) as the other nic's switchport in the physical switch. You can't assign an IP (or DHCP) to a vm portgroup or a vswitch. You only assign IP's to a vmkernel or service console portgroup.

crescendas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the replies, I have marked them helpful and answer. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos