VMware Cloud Community
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How to create a distributed standalone port?

For service console and vmkernel ports the GUI indicates it is possible to attach a distributed standalone port. My problem is that i have found no way to create one, and have ended up using distributed portgroups instead.

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are talking about Distributed Switch that is all done at the vsphere level when in networking view (See attached Screen cap).

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Yes, I am talking about a distributed virtual switch. But your screen capture does not answer my question, as far as I can see.

Could you be more specific, please?

Thanks,

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sorry for the confusion I myself was having dificulty understanding what you were asking. Still not really sure, which is most likly a failing on my part. I am sure someone else will come along with the info you need.

0 Kudos
Oletho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK, let me be more specific then Smiley Happy

When adding or migrating a virtual adapter - vmkernel or service console - it is possible to map it to a distributed virtual portgroup or a distributed virtual standalone port (see attachment)

I would like to use a distributed standalone port but is unable to find out how to make one. So I have ended up using a distributed port group.

HTH.

Ole Thomsen

0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Huh i see the problem the only documentation on standalone ports is a couple of API docs

"numStandalonePorts = The number of standalone ports in the switch. Standalone ports are

ports that don't belong to any portgroup"

Of course any ports not part of a portgroup are uplinks and not available. How you would force them to come into being seems to a bit of a problem. Now I am curious Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
iammax
Contributor
Contributor

Standalone ports can be created only by using the vShere SDK and not from the vShere Client interface.

0 Kudos
tampabayBHN
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any reason to do this (use a standalone), or is a port group now the way to use Service Consoles and VMkernels?

0 Kudos