VMware Cloud Community
Paul_N
Contributor
Contributor

How to add tagging to Service Console after install

I have just built two vSphere boxes and did not configure network tagging for the SC. Turns out this is needed so I am unable to manage the hosts via vCenter, but can still get to them via the ILO. Is there a way to enable tagging for the SC at this point?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Paul_N
Contributor
Contributor

OK, let me re=phrase the question: how do you add the VLAN tagging info to a ks.cfg file?

I've managed to fix the problem after the fact: esxcfg-vswitch vSwitch0 -v XX -p "Service Console"

Thanks

0 Kudos
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

You could add that command as a 'run-once' type shell script called from /etc/rc.d/rc.local that you create using the %post aspect of the ks.cfg file.

I am sure there is a way to add a VLAN directly but I have yet to find one. Normally, you have to run the vswitch commands after the fact in a first-boot type run-once shell script created by the kickstart.

Best regards,
Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, 2010

Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security'[/url]

Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]

Blogging: The Virtualization Practice[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|TechTarget[/url]|Network World[/url]

Podcast: Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]|Twitter: Texiwll[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
Paul_N
Contributor
Contributor

I found this solution last week and it is working well. Just add "--vlanid=xx" to the networking portion of the script. Like such:

network --addvmportgroup=true --device=vmnic0 --bootproto=static --ip=10.1.1.11 --netmask=255.255.255.0 --gateway=10.1.1.1 --vlanid=2 --nameserver=10.0.0.1,10.0.0.2 --hostname=vmhost

Works great. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
stevenbright1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To change the VLAN used by the service console run the following from the ESX:

esxcfg-vswitch -v VLANID -p "Service Console" vSwitch

Replacing the VLANID with your VLAN ID and the vSwitch with the name of the vSwitch that your service console uses.

-

If you have found the contents of this post useful, please assign points.

0 Kudos