VMware Cloud Community
rdilauri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host not responding after creating the first Distributed Switch

Hi Group,

My 2 hosts became disconnected after I created my first Distributed Switch in my infrastructure and moved all of my connection groups over to it. From the Events it looks like I may have miss-configured the port grouping by using port level configuration. My problem now is that I cannot edit any of the Distributed switch settings from the Host>Configuration>Networking page. At this point I’m guessing I would have to talk to the host with CLI commands. Is there another way to fix this through the GUI? If not, can someone help me with some direction on what CLI commands to use? I’m very green on Unix/Linux CLI.

I included a Word document with the event screenshots.

Thanks, Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sqian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One more thing, you might need to delete the original "service console" before creating a new one,

1. esxcfg-vswif -d vswif0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sqian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I think you may use CLI to recreate a secondary Service Console on the original vswitch as below,

assuming that original Service Console was placed at vSwitch0,

1. esxcfg-vswitch -A "Service Console1" vSwitch0

2. esxcfg-vswif -a -i 10.10.10.1 -n 255.255.255.0 -b 255.255.255.0 -p "Service Console1" vswif1

sqian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Please paste the output of "esxcfg-vswitch -l" and "esxcfg-vswif -l" if the suggestion above doesn't work for you, thanks.

sqian
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

One more thing, you might need to delete the original "service console" before creating a new one,

1. esxcfg-vswif -d vswif0

0 Kudos
rdilauri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Sqian,

With the commands you suggested I was able to get the ball rolling. It gave me me the opportunity to get a little acclimated to use of the CLI (which I really needed to do).

Once I got one vnic back to the standard switch, I was then able to migrate all uplink ports back to the standard switch and was back in business.

0 Kudos
rdilauri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your help,

I think I ended the post the right way and gave you points.

Let me know if I didn't end the post properly.

-Robert

0 Kudos