VMware Cloud Community
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Help in Migrating from Standard vSwicth to vDS

Hello,

My current setup 4 Blades each with 6 pNICs and 3 vSwitch. Each vSwitch has two outbound adapters.

I'm wondring how to go with the new vDS? Do I have to create the same vDS each with 2 outbound "uplinks" and 1 dvPortGroup? Or one vDS with all the 6 pNICs uplinks and all the required dvProtGroups?

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
4 Replies
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Hussain!

I would suggest that u create one vDS with 6 uplink ports. Afterwards take one vmnic of every vSwitch and put them into the vDS. then migrate everything to the vDS and at last delete the vSwitches and put the remaining vmnic's to the vDS.

On the vDS u create all the port groups u have on the vSwitches.

That is it, more or less.

Best Regards

Matthias

habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hello Matthias,

Thanks for your reply. But what about my service console and vmtion nics? currently, i;m maintaing the S.C and vMotion in one vSwitch, Trunking with

Tagged vLAN. In addition, the Service Console and vMotion both are on different IP schema and the S.C is behind a firewall from my production environment.

If i create one vDS with 3 vmnic how i will mainting communication for my S.C, vMotion, DMZ and Production?

Current configuration;

vSwitch0 with 2 pNic vmnic0 and vmnic1 with 2 Portgroups "S.C and vMotion" vLAN Tagged

vSwitch1 with 2 pNic vmnic2 and vmnic3 with 1 Portgroups "Production" No Tagging

vSwitch2 with 2 pNic vmnic4 and vmnic5 with 1 Portgroups "DMZ" No Tagging

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
matthiaseisner
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Hussain!

On the vDS u'll configure the same VLAN IDs like u did on the vSwitch.

If u have different port configurations on the physical switch u must configure the distributed port groups to use the correct vmnics. U have the possibility to rename the different uplink port groups. This is only to make the administration easier for u. If I would be in your place, I would configure also VLAN for the DMZ and Production network, configure all physical ports as trunk ports and then u can use all vmnics for all networks.

Best Regards

Matthias

habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

thanks for your help, i will duplicate the same setup as my actuall setup on my test server that has got WorkStation 7 intalled. and i will reply the feedback.

Best Regards,

Hussain Al Sayed

0 Kudos