VMware Cloud Community
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Have I been doing iscsi mpio wrong for years?

I'm adding a new host to our vsphere 6.0 cluster, and our hosts all have a separate vswitch with 2 nics dedicated to iscsi for Windows data volumes. The VMDKs and data LUNs are all on an EQ, so I have the Dell MEM installed.

I was poring through documentation and comparing to existing hosts when I noticed something - all the docs I can find now show 2 vmkernels on a vswitch, but no VM port groups. Mine has 2 vmkernels and 2 vm port groups:

pastedImage_0.png

Maybe that's because mine is for guests connecting to iscsi LUNs? My google-fu is failing me today.

Also, assuming this is correct, can someone verify that the vmkernels should be active/standby and the port groups should be active/unused?

Thanks.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found a section on guest mpio in doc TR1091, and it verifies the dual port groups and vmkernels on the iscsi vswitch. Also, unlike what I wrote before in my frazzled state, my vmkernels are set to active/unused and the port groups are set to active/standby, so that appears to be correct.

VMWare Environment: vSphere 7.0, EQ PS6210 SANs, Dell R730 Hosts, dedicated Dell switches w/ separate vlans for vmotion and iscsi.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
zenking
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I found a section on guest mpio in doc TR1091, and it verifies the dual port groups and vmkernels on the iscsi vswitch. Also, unlike what I wrote before in my frazzled state, my vmkernels are set to active/unused and the port groups are set to active/standby, so that appears to be correct.

0 Kudos