VMware Cloud Community
mechlord
Contributor
Contributor

Guest VM can only reach the host

So i have an XP vm that was accessing the network fine...network meaning any device on the 192.168.1.x subnet...host, other PCs..ect. now i can only hit the host...nothing can ping this vm and this vm can't hit anything else. what happened? I'm in the middle of a project an needed this vm to get online asap. help!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are other VMs set up that are using the same port group? If so are the other VMs disconnected also or is the problem specific to this VM? How many physical NICs are connected to the virtual switch being used and what type of load balancing configured if multiple pNICs are configured?

Be aware of a security setting on Cisco switches called 'Port Security' which affects VM environments. Google it for more info. What make of physical switch are you using?

mechlord
Contributor
Contributor

So far its a single VM but its my virtual center (which i was going to use for a p2v conversion). It is on a Cisco Switch...but doesn't it shutdown the port all together? Single nic so no loadbalance. It was working yesterday and a power outage shutdown the entire project...till it power was recently restored. Trying to gain access to the switches now.

0 Kudos
jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You say it's a single NIC so by 'but doesn't it shutdown the port all together', you are wondering if it's port security then why can you ping the host? To reach the host interface the traffic is going internal through the virtual switch and doesn't use the physical link at all. So even if all the physical links are down (or no physical links are assigned to a vSwitch) VMs on a shared vSwitch can communicate with each other. Is your host interface (Service Console/Management Network) that you can ping on the same vSwitch as the VM.

jbogardus
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm trying to finish typing so I can have lunch and I think the exact logic of my last response doesn't meet exactly what you are describing, so you'll have to interpret the theory of what I was saying to your situation to make sense of it.

0 Kudos
mechlord
Contributor
Contributor

By all means...finish your lunch! I can access the host from other servers on the network, and the vm...from what i've seen the port security will detect another mac address and shut it down all together...but seen it also just block the second mac and other their after from accessing the network..however i've had this running on the network for several hours...and they were all able to communicate. The port security (from what i've seen..and i've been known to be wrong) blocks it right away.

0 Kudos