VMware Cloud Community
Anfernee86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failover between vswifs on vDS

Here is my scenario: vswif0 (10.10.50.11/24 on vmnic0) and vswif1 (10.10.60.11/24 on vmnic1) are on two separate vDS switches and subnets. Each have one vmnic assigned to them. With both vmnics connected, I can ping both addresses. If I unplug vmnic0's network cable, both vswifs go down (if I unplug vswif1, only 10.10.60.11 goes down). I am new to vDS. How would I set up redundancy for Service Console in this scenario? Unfortunately, it is too late to add any more vmnics to the vDS.

Also, I noticed I can only assign one of their gateways in as the gateway? For example, I can only put 10.10.50.1 or 10.10.60.1 as a gateway for both vswif interfaces, but never 50.1 to the .50 subnet and 60.1 to the .60 subnet.

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You shouldn't have to setup routing to networks local to an interface. You should confirm this with `netstat -rn` on your service console. You should have a route for each interface on your service console automatically added to your routing table to the network defined by the interface's IP and subnet mask combination.

Question: Are you pinging the system from the local networks, or from a remote network? If you are pinging from a remote network, then this is what I would expect with only 1 default route.

I believe you just need to add another default route. You can do this with the `route` command. Try `man route` is you're not familiar with it on a UNIX- /Linux-type system.

Please post the output of `netstat -rn` and `ifconfig vswif1` if you want me to help you build your route command.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
Anfernee86
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I appreciate your help but I decided to take a more simple route. I am getting rid of vswif1, teaming vmnic0 and vmnic1 and sending one to switch1 and the other to switch2.

0 Kudos