VMware Cloud Community
xxxxxxxxxcccc
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi host and switchport communication problem

Hi. I have a problem about the communication between my ESXi host and the port switch. This port is configured in trunk mode with 2 VLANs. Also Native VLAN 1 is enabled (not trunked). The problem is that the Management interface of the ESXi host doesn't receive any VLAN 1 IP address via DHCP (as I would expect). Even if I manually assign a VLAN 1 IP, it doesn't work. I tryed also to configure Mgmt interface VLAN tag as "1" and "4095", but nothing changed. This is the switchport configuration:

switchport
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 33,106
switchport mode trunk
no logging event link-status
no snmp trap link-status
spanning-tree bpduguard enable

----

Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: On
Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled
Operational Native VLAN tagging: disabled
Voice VLAN: none
Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
Operational private-vlan: none
Trunking VLANs Enabled: 33,106
Pruning VLANs Enabled: 2-1001
Capture Mode Disabled
Capture VLANs Allowed: ALL

Do you have any idea why this happens?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
2 Replies
SteveFuller2011
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On the physical switch the native VLAN, 1 in your case, does not have a VLAN tag associated with it i.e., it's a standard Ethernet frame.

If you're assigning the management interface port group on the vSwitch with VLAN 1 then this will be tagged by the vSwitch, and dropped by the physical switch as it's not expecting a VLAN tag.

I don't normally use VLAN 1 as it's the default VLAN on all ports. Instead I'd assign another VLAN number on the physical switch for your management network, allow this on the physical switch interface and then assign the management interface on your vSwitch to that VLAN.

Regards

0 Kudos
xxxxxxxxxcccc
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I'm requesting to add another vlan on the trunk (different from vlan 1) that I will use for the Management interface.

Thank you again!

0 Kudos