VMware Cloud Community
kmarty009
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi Network troubleshooting issue

We are trying to troubleshoot a VMKernel issue via NFS and believe that traffic is getting routed out to the core switch. However, we cannot verify this because I have no tools in ESXi 4.1 to run tracert, traceroute, tracepath etc. Am I missing something here....? Where are the tracert tools on ESXi? I cannot image that VMware cut those out?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Describe your problem, maybe we can help without using tools.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
kmarty009
Contributor
Contributor

I have an IBM Blade Center with 2 1GB Switches which I use for the ESXi Management Network. I have 2 other switches that are 10GB with 10GB cards. I am connecting via NFS for my Datastores. When pinging at 1500 MTU with vmkping it is working. When I ping with -m 9000 it works on some and fails on other addresses that worked at 1500. Long story short... we believe the ESXi mgmt network is routing the traffic at 1500 to our core switch and at 9000 it is not. We need to use a tracert just verify where are traffic is going. But ESXi does not have any of these tools from to verify it. All I want is to use vmkping and watch where the traffic is going.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Why don't you configure th ESXi vSwitches to use Jumbo Frames? By default they are not set to this MTU size. The default is 1500.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
kmarty009
Contributor
Contributor

I did configure vswitch1 to MTU 9000 however vswtich0 is 1500 which is only used for ESXi Management.

0 Kudos